Database configuration for Primavera P6
The Primavera P6 Professional Planning and Project Controls tool gives us the possibility to configure different databases. In this post, we will show you two of the four types of database configuration that Primavera P6 Professional offers to work with. Are you ready?
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Why use the Primavera P6 Professional standalone database configuration?
A Primavera P6 Professional standalone database is a database that is used to store and manage the data of a few projects. It is considered a standalone database because it is designed to be used by a single user or a small group of users. In addition, it is not connected to any other system or database. The standalone database or SQLite Database comes with the same Primavera P6 Professional package that you download from the Oracle website.
There are several reasons why a Primavera P6 Professional standalone database could be set up:
- Ease of use: a standalone database is easy to set up and use, as it only needs to be installed and configured on a single computer. There is no need to worry about the configuration of servers or central databases.
- Cost: A standalone database is generally less expensive than other database options, as it does not require the purchase of additional licenses or the hiring of specialized personnel to administer it.
- Scalability: A standalone database is suitable for small or short-term projects, as it is not designed to support large amounts of data or a large number of concurrent users.
- Security: A standalone database is easier to secure than a centralized database, as it is only accessed by a single computer and can be configured to require user authentication.
Note, however, that a standalone database using SQLite also has its limitations. For example, it is not suitable for large-scale or long-term projects. This is because it is not as scalable as other database options. In addition, it does not offer the same data sharing and collaboration options as other options, such as centralized or cloud databases.
Why use Microsoft SQL Server as a database configuration when working with Primavera P6 Professional?
Sometimes, due to the limitations of a standalone database, we are interested in storing and managing the data of a project using Primavera P6 Professional and a SQL Server database. Microsoft SQL Server Database is a relational database management system developed by Microsoft that offers high performance, scalability, and security.
There are several reasons why a Microsoft SQL Server or SQL Express database configuration could be used with Primavera P6 Professional:
- Scalability: SQL Server is suitable for large-scale or long-term projects. It is capable of handling large amounts of data and a large number of concurrent users.
- Security: SQL Server offers a high level of security, including user authentication, data encryption, and access control.
- Collaboration and data sharing: SQL Server allows multiple users to access and work with project data at the same time, facilitating collaboration and data sharing.
- Integration with other tools: SQL Server can be integrated with other project and business management tools. This feature allows users to access and use project data more effectively.
Using a Microsoft SQL Server database with Primavera P6 Professional can be more complicated and costly than the standalone option. It is necessary to purchase a SQL Server license and it may be necessary to hire specialized staff to administer and maintain the database. In addition, the configuration and use of SQL Server may require a steeper learning curve.
IN PROJECT 2080 WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO REMEMBER
When it comes to database configuration for working with Primavera P6 Professional, we have 4 options to choose from as controller types. We have evaluated two different database options. The Standalone (SQLite) is the easiest to configure and is suitable for small projects with little management demand. However, if you have a larger volume of projects, we recommend setting up Microsoft SQL Server or SQL Express. Microsoft SQL Server is easy to use and connects well with other project planning and control tools, such as Power BI or Python.